Web maps are online maps created with GIS applications that provide a way to work and interact with geographic content organized as layers. They are shared across your organization and beyond on the web and across smartphones and tablets. Each map contains a reference base map along with a set of additional data layers, plus tools that work on these layers. The tools can do simple things, such as open a pop-up window when you click on the map, or more complex things, such as performing spatial analysis.
Geographical Information System (GIS) is widely used as a valuable tool for management, analysis and presentation of various and great volumes of data, as well as different local planning activities.
Learning this course will enable participants:
- Understanding Spatial Data Visualization: Web mapping enables you to visualize spatial data in an interactive and visually appealing manner. By studying web mapping, you can learn how to create dynamic maps that effectively communicate spatial patterns, relationships, and trends.
- Enhancing Decision-Making and Analysis: Web mapping allows you to perform geospatial analysis and make informed decisions based on spatial data. By studying web mapping, you can gain the skills to analyze and interpret geospatial information, helping you make more informed choices in various fields such as urban planning, environmental management, marketing, and logistics.
- Sharing and Collaboration: Web mapping facilitates the sharing and collaboration of spatial data and maps. By studying web mapping, you can learn how to publish and share your maps online, enabling others to access and interact with the information. This promotes collaboration, fosters knowledge exchange, and allows stakeholders to make better-informed decisions collectively.
- Enhancing Data Presentation: Web mapping provides powerful tools for presenting data in an engaging and intuitive way. By studying web mapping, you can learn how to effectively present spatial data through interactive maps, charts, and visualizations. This skill is valuable for conveying complex information in a visually appealing manner.
- Exploring Career Opportunities: Proficiency in web mapping opens up various career opportunities. Many industries, including urban planning, environmental sciences, logistics, marketing, and disaster management, rely on web mapping professionals to analyze spatial data and create interactive maps. Studying web mapping can enhance your job prospects and provide you with a competitive edge in these fields.
- Keeping Up with Technological Advancements: Web mapping technologies are constantly evolving, with new tools, APIs, and frameworks emerging regularly. By studying web mapping, you can stay updated with the latest advancements in the field and adapt to new technologies, ensuring you remain competent and relevant in the ever-changing world of geospatial data analysis and visualization.
Classroom Training Calendar 2023
|START DATE||END DATE||REGISTRATION |
|Click to Apply.|
|Sept 11, 2023||Sept 15, 2023||Sept 7, 2023||USD 980||Register|
|Oct 30, 2023||Nov 3, 2023||Oct 26, 2023||USD 980||Register|
|Dec 18, 2023||Dec 22, 2023||Dec 14, 2023||USD 980||Register|
Online Training Calendar 2023
|START DATE||END DATE||REGISTRATION |
|Click to Apply.|
|May 22, 2023||May 26, 2023||May 18, 2023||USD 350/ KES 30000||Register|
|July 10, 2023||July 14, 2023||July 6, 2023||USD 350/ KES 30000||Register|
|Aug 28, 2023||Sept 1, 2023||Aug 24, 2023||USD 350/ KES 30000||Register|
|Oct 16, 2023||Oct 20, 2023||Oct 12, 2023||USD 350/ KES 30000||Register|
|Dec 4, 2023||Dec 8, 2023||Dec 1, 2023||USD 350/ KES 30000||Register|
Course Content Overview
Module 1: Introduction to Web Mapping
- Overview of web mapping technologies and applications
- Components of a web mapping system
- Introduction to web mapping platforms and frameworks
Module 2: Spatial Data for Web Mapping
- Types of spatial data formats (vector and raster)
- Data acquisition and preparation for web mapping
- Georeferencing and coordinate systems
Module 3: Creating Interactive Maps
- Building a basic web map with markers, polygons, and lines
- Customizing map appearance and styles
- Implementing user interactions (zooming, panning, etc.)
Module 4: Overlaying Data Layers and Geospatial Analysis
- Adding various types of data layers (e.g., shapefiles, GeoJSON)
- Working with different map projections and coordinate systems
- Performing spatial queries and basic geospatial analysis
Module 5: Web Map Services and Deployment
- Consuming and displaying web map services in web applications
- Introduction to geocoding and routing services
- Publishing and sharing web maps
- Installing Plugins for webmapping.
- Working with spatialite layers.
- Working with Geopackages and digitizing. Creation of different data types for webmapping.
- Overview of OGC Web Services(OWS); WebMap Service(WMS),Web Feature Service(WFS), Web Coverage service(WCS)
- Webservers, Geoserver and Map servers
- Setting up API and inputing layers.
- Map viewer.
- Geonodes and Geo network Opensource.
- OpenGIS Web Processing services(WPS)
- Publishing Webmaps online.
Newbies, WASH specialists, M & E Experts, Public health, Program Manager, Students, Engineers, Teachers, Web mapping Enthusiasts, web developers
Experience with Windows-based software for basic file management and browsing.
QGIS, Geo server, Map server, ArcGIS
Upon successful completion of the course all participants will be issued a certificate at no extra cost.
WE OFFER 10% – 20% DISCOUNT TO GROUPS OF MORE THAN 5 PARTICIPANTS.