Field data collection is generally a tedious activity. Without a mobile collection app like QField, you’d likely enter information into a spreadsheet on paper, then digitize it using GIS software like QGIS/ArcMap/ MapInfo.
That’s not something that most people would enjoy doing on a regular basis. But with a program like QField, mobile data collection can be made easier and more efficient in many ways.
This course introduces you to how to make your field data collection more efficient by using tools like the QField Sync plugin. You will also learn basics of QGIS within this package so if you are new to GIS worry not. We will cover all you need to know about mapping.
Geographical Information System (GIS) is widely used as a valuable tool for management, analysis and presentation of various and great volumes of data, as well as different local planning activities.
About this Course
A GIS helps people visualize and create information that can be used to make decisions and solve problems. Get an introduction to the basic components of a GIS and data collection using QField both online and offline. Learn fundamental concepts that underlie the use of a GIS with hands-on experience with maps and geographic data.
This course uses QGIS latest release and QField App.
- Create GIS data .
- Collecting data for use in a GIS mapping project easily and free.
- Visually analyze feature relationships and patterns on a GIS map.
- Share GIS maps as webmaps and analysis results.
Classroom Training Calendar 2023
|START DATE||END DATE||REGISTRATION DEADLINE||COURSE COST|
|Click to Apply.|
|Aug 28, 2023||Sept 1, 2023||Aug 24, 2023||USD 980||Register|
|Oct 23, 2023||Oct 27, 2023||Oct 19, 2023||USD 980||Register|
|Dec 18, 2023||Dec 22, 2023||Dec 14, 2023||USD 980||Register|
Online Training Calendar 2023
|START DATE||END DATE||REGISTRATION |
|Click to Apply.|
|May 1, 2023||May 5, 2023||April 28, 2023||USD 350 / KES 30000||Register|
|July 3, 2023||July 7, 2023||June 30, 2023||USD 350 / KES 30000||Register|
|Sept 11, 2023||Sept 15, 2023||Sept 8, 2023||USD 350 / KES 30000||Register|
|Nov 20, 2023||Nov 24, 2023||Nov 17, 2023||USD 350 / KES 30000||Register|
WE OFFER 10% – 20% DISCOUNT TO GROUPS OF MORE THAN 5 PARTICIPANTS.
Course Content Overview
Introduction to GIS and Mapping projects
- What is GIS?
- What can you do with GIS?
- Think of ways to apply GIS
- What are the Resolutions?
- Types of Resolutions
- Digital Image Processing
Datum and Projection
- Coordinate System
- Map Projection
- Map Scales
Data Types, Development of data collection forms for QField.
- Vector and Raster Data
- Non-Spatial Data (CSV)
- Creating Vector Files and Data Collection
- Attribute Table Creation/Editing, Join Table
- Attribute table (Join Table & Spatial Query (By Location and Attribute)
Symbology & Labelling
- Introduction to Symbolization.
- Single Symbol, Unique Value
- Displaying dynamic labels
- Reference scale
- Controlling which features are labeled
- Controlling where labels are placed
- Converting labels to annotation
Spatial Data Input and Editing
- Working with Geopackages and spatialite layers
- Vector data Digitizing
- Generating MbTile files for offline data collection
Getting started with QField
- Installation of QField on android phone/tablet
- Getting started with QField Sync plugin
- Preparing your work for fieldwork
- QField settings setup and overview
- Project and Layer settings.
- Designing forms to use during the fieldwork.
- Getting ready for fieldwork/data collection exercise.
Data Collection /Fieldwork
- Collecting Photos and working with QField offline
- Creating pdf maps
- Using QGIS Map themes in QField.
- Synchronizing the data collected in QField to QGIS for analysis
- Syncing offline data with the production database
- Considerations for offline data workflows.
- Creating a webmap using leaflet plugins for data sharing
Newbies, WASH specialists, M & E Experts, Public health, Program Manager, Students, Engineers, Teachers, GIS and Remote Sensing Enthusiasts
Suggested Skills and Requirements
- Experience with Windows-based software for basic file management and browsing.
- All participants should have an android tablet or phone.
- QGIS Version 3, QField and Google Earth Pro.
At the end of the course all participants will be offered a certificate of Participation at no extra cost.